My mother is sz

I am 35 y.o. and my mother is schizophrenic. She hasn't always been this way, her condition seems to have worsened in the last few months and she's been making our lives miserable. I live with her and my father.

Maybe my case is not as dramatic as many posted on this forum but it is very sad and I don't know what to do, this is all very new to me.

My mother is 71 y.o. and she's constantly claiming she sees shadows, gangs of criminals and creatures at night. She accuses everyone around her, everyone is plotting to hurt her and our pets - we live in a small farm, even though we're not far from the city centre, and we have three dogs and a dozen cats. Some time ago, one of our cats was severely injured and she claimed someone killed it on purpose, even though she didn't see anything.

Everytime our pets make a sound at night, she wakes up and says someone is trying to kill them.

We had a terrible argument today, she accepted to go see a doctor but I don't know what to expect. I'm scared and I don't know what to do. I have my own flat, I want to move there but I don't want to desert my family either.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
    Yes well its important she agreed to seek help. Encourage her in a supportive manner to follow up because it will help with her recovery. NAMI friends and family support groups are good as well. Speak to her psychiatrist about what follow up is needed.  Also see if there are any supports and services she needs as well. For example outpatient programs can be of help for many people. The psychiatrist could help coordinate follow up with a social worker that can be of help as well.
Helpful - 0
Thank you very much for your reply, ILADVOCATE. Yes, she accepted to go see a doctor but I'm not sure if she's being sincere and I seriously doubt she's going to take any pills or medication. She's always been very suspicious of doctors. Moreover the disease seems to have turned her into a sly, malicious person, I simply cannot trust her anymore. I'm going to book an appointment this week and let's see what happens. I'll keep you posted on that.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Schizophrenia Community