Urology Community
19.3k Members
Avatar universal

Ridge of glands dark purple color

I posted this is the Men's health forum but it's received little attention and I'm quite concerned. I'm still more or less a kid (I'm 13). Recently I pulled back my foreskin to find that the ridge of my penis glands is a dark purple color. Also there's a small area around the opening of my urethra that is a bright red color and it sometimes burns when I pee.

To top it all off the shaft of my penis is thicker than the head and I was wondering if that was normal.    

Also when in a flaccid state I have no problem pulling the foreskin on the beyond the head of my penis but when I'm erect I can only get it about half down before it's starts to hurt  

Does anyone know what is causing the discoloration of the glands or the red urethra. The last bit is just a tidbit that I'm curious about the first two are what are really concerning me.

Any info is appreciated, thanks
3 Responses
Avatar universal

about the dark purple color: I have that too and I have read on the internet that that's normal. I'm not doctor though.
Avatar universal
Could you give me a link to where you got that info? Thanks
647273 tn?1292094741
Hi the color of the glans is normal.

Two things that could cause some concern is the burning sensation while urinating. This can result from over stimulation of the opening. A burning sensation can also be caused by an infection of the urinary tract. If it is due to over stimulation it most likely will become less as you grow.

When you are born the foreskin in most is attached to the glans. As you grow into puberty the foreskin should start to loosen up. Some boys enter puberty late, with that the development of the penis can also be delayed. As you grow and through intercourse or masterbation the foreskin will further seperate from the glans. However you stated that the color of the ridge of the glans, this suggests to me that your foreskin can be retracted all the way.

If you feel that your penis is not normal then you should talk to your parents and possibly see a doctor.

There are severa sites that provide information, but you are still a child and there is a lot of information and mis-information on the web. This is especially the case when pictures are shown

I will give you a link to a urology site. Some of it might be hard to understand. Ask your parents for help. I have a son myself and I would not appreciate it if he was to view certain contend on the web.



Scrol down to the links for phimosis. Please do this with your parent or other family adult like grandparents.

I hope that this will give you some peace of mind.

God bless

Have an Answer?
Top Urology Answerers
11369760 tn?1449507972
Southwest , MI
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.