Urology Community

kidneys

can you have stones in both kidneys at the same time ??
Yes bilateral nephrolithiasis i.e. stone formation in both the kidneys can be present at the same time. Kidney stones are of four types: calcium oxalate stones, struvite stones, uric acid stones or cystine stones. Potassium citrate is used for the treatment of stones.

I would suggest you to get an evaluation done from a urologist to determine the type of stone. Treatment modes include Extracorporeal Shock Wave Lithrotripsy (ESWL), uteroscopic stone removal and percutaneoud nephrolithotomy.
I hope it helps. Take care and regards.

I've had bilateral stones (both sides) before. It's no fun at all.

Are you obstructed on one side, or both sides? Are they causing you discomfort, or are they asymptomatic (no pain, no outward signs you have them)?

Do you have a history of kidney-stones?