Weight Loss Alternatives Community

NEED HELP with the good fruits and veggies anyone

so noone has ever really taught me the healthy foods to eat.  If there is somone one out there who knows that would lend some good advice i would love to hear.  I do exercise jog and weights and have always had trouble with weights.  I have 3 children all under 4.  I do eat kid food i know its bad.  So just a little advice would be good. I don't eat all junk all the time but the last 30 lbs i can't get off. I just need some advice help please
Brea
I'm sure you will get good advice from others here, especially Solo, he is quite knowledgeable.  I have been using the website fitday.com which is free and full of information.  also there is sparkpeople.com, another free website.  Sorry I am not of more help.  Good Luck and Happy New Year !
Another great site for info is Sparkpeople. It sounds odd (don't know where they came up with that name), but you can learn alot about weight loss and fitness. Another idea is to check out local kitchen stores. Some of them offer healthy cooking classes. Also, a couple businesses have opened in my area where you can go in and either cook and carry your food or pick up food for later. I haven't tried either of them, but have heard good things about them: My Girlfriend's Kitchen and ??. Shoot, I can't remember the name of the other place. I'll find it out today and post later. Good luck to you!
Thanks to eveyone for all your comments i need all of them.  I like that you are all so honest.  I'm going to do what you all say no more dipping in the kids junk food and should probably get the kids off the junk food. The last think i want is for them to be overweight I mean right now all 3 boys are twigs, but i don't want them unhealthy either.  I do just drink only water though i don't do the pop or juice thing. Solo i will read all your comments you sound like you know alot and you get right to the point i like that. Thanks again.  I know its all me not the kids i do need to work on that self control and i will. Thanks again
Brea
Hi, I just wanted you to know that I was in a similar situation when I got started on this "healthy lifestyle" thing a few months ago. I had never been much of a fruit and veggie person and never thought I would be. I thought people were crazy when they said if I would just start eating healthy I would not even want junk food anymore.

But it had to be done because my doctor said I was looking at having diabetes in a few years if I didn't do something, so I finally got motivated. I just started making small changes at a time that I could incorporate into my life and stick with. When we went out to eat I would have a salad and I started getting more adventurous with what I would put in it. Now I have broccoli, cucumbers, carrots, you name it. When the flavors are mixed together and you get used to it gradually they are not too bad! Then I started having them at home too. Sometimes before a meal and sometimes I just cut up grilled chicken in there and that is my meal. I do raw veggies sometimes, and my mother still cannot believe I now eat such things as squash and broccoli! I just tried one new thing at a time until I was used to it. I learned a really good snack is blueberries with yogurt.

I do still have carbs like bread, pasta, etc. but in really limited portions. It is true what they say about getting full mostly on lean meats and veggies. Even the water helps fill you up. Then you won't be craving other things so much. Believe me I have been there! I have lost about 40 lbs since June. I sure wish I could say it was more, but I went into a plateau in September and then unfortunately over the holidays I haven't done very well. Mostly just not finding the time to exercise, and reverting back to my biggest weakness: Dr. Pepper!! So I can testify there will be ups and downs along the way, but I know you can do it. And there are still ways to do it even with a busy lifestyle. If you still do fast food places every once in a while, cut out the fries and tell them easy on the mayo or other dressings. You can even get salads and fruit in a lot of those places now, and water.

I always advise people when they're starting out, Don't obsess over every little calorie and gram; that can drive you crazy! You just have to do the best you can, find what works best for you and your family, and if you mess up, get up the next day and try again. You don't want to feel deprived because eventually you will give in and maybe even give up. It's much better if you can find something you can really stick with for life, and give yourself little "rewards" along the way.Best of luck to you and let us hear how you're doing!
wow, solo, its good to hear from you, I was afraid you would not care much for my advice! You seem to be a bit more strict in your ways than me so I was sort of expecting you to disagree with me on some of it!! Thanks for the support. Now I just have to make that New Years Resolution and give up Dr Pepper AGAIN, get back on the water and start losing agin in '07!! Are you on a plan too or have you already met your goals? Either way good luck and take care.

Happy New Year everybody!
Kk2 thank you thank you for the advice.  I'm glad to hear from somone who has been there.  I have a new problem solo and kk2 if you can help i went to the doctor and they said i have bad heel spurs in both feet.  No running or fast walking until he gives me permission help!  I mean yeah pain but come on.  I don't want to just sit around.  Crunches can only work the core. I guess very slow walking, but i won't be able to burn as many calories.  Solo can you help?  
Brea
swimming would be really good if you have facilities available. I don't know that much about it, but maybe with proper shoe support, you could still do some type of aerobics or something. Maybe a stationary bike? Also, the weight training helps a lot more than you might think. Muscle burns fat! If you go to a gym, they can show you how to use the machines to get the most good out of them. Good luck!

Seriously, I remember once there was a podiatrist on here giving advice about special things to wear in your shoes, I just don't remember exactly what they said. Maybe you should see one.
KK2,
  I wish i could go to the gym.  Its hard with the 3 kids maybe though i could ask my doctor about something for my shoes.  He said no running though for 1 week untill i see him again.  I tried tonight this workout video it was ok i had to take it slow.  Drinking lots and lots of water solo if you are reading and i read your weoght loss plan it sounds great.  I only need to loose about 20-30 lbs and will be a healthy weight. So i don't think i need to go that extreme.  I do love myself its just those 20-30 lbs i can't get off because of the bad things i was eating but with the help of you two kk2 and solo i think you guys are helping me in the right direction.  Thank you guys again the advice i really am tring it i print out the pages and they are on the fridge.
Brea
wow, that sounds like a really good idea. I hope it helps you. And its like you said you only have 20-30 lbs to go, you don't have to go that extreme on the exercise. (I wish I could say that!) I didn't mean do any walking or running even with shoe inserts, just maybe the workout videos, and keep it low impact. If you do it consistently, it will help. Plus staying consistent with your water and eating plan. If you're not exercising much, cut calories and carbs even more.

There's a lot of ab exercises you can do laying down on the floor. Regular crunches, plus putting your legs up in the air and reaching up toward your toes, etc. You can exercise your gluts (butt) by getting on your hands and knees and lift one leg  in to your stomach then out away from your body, pushing up as far as you can. Do a certain number on one leg then do the other leg. It actually exercises your abs and leg muscles too so its a good workout. I guess if you do these things fast enough it could count as a little cardio till you're "back on your feet!!"

By the way that's a great idea about printing the pages and putting them on the fridge! Thanks, I need new ideas too to get back on my plan and doing good again! Good luck!
Hey solo,
  I guess if forgot to say that they took x rays in both my feet. I also had the shoots (cortison) injections.  I did go to a podiatrist to but my legs started doing like this tingle burning type feeling.  I feel like i keep stomping my feet i called they say from the shots its really bothering me.  The hot water soaking my feet solo is a great idea he said the same.  But running is out of the question because i guess i let them get kind of bad i don't know.  Can i ask you how you are so knowledgable?  I mean you know alot you are very smart.  Thanks again for the advice have a happy new years.  I'll have you know my eating habits are very very healthy.
Brea
Hi KK2,
   The most trouble i have is the belly area  from having my children.  I feel like as many cruches i do it just won't come off.  I swear that's half the weight i need off.  I have that workout ball and i do it but i guess i get bored of crunches. I found this other workout to do though its like a cardio blast 18 mins its fun and burns tons of calories.  I like lifting weights also so i do that nothing to heavy I don't want the big bulky look.  So i guess it's not that bad with no running. Plus i'm eating healthy still its actually eaiser than i thought.  Hopfully it will stay that way. Good luck to you with your workouts.  Let me know how your workouts go.  Have a happy new year
Brea
   I know i have to rest my feet.  They still hurt bad i go back to my doctor friday.  I really need to get back in school but thats what i get for getting married at the age of 20 and having 3 kids right away.  I'm now 26 with a 4 year old 3 year old and almost 2 year old.  I went to 1 year college and wish i would have never stopped. I can't complain my husband works hard makes good money for us, but i just wish ya know i would have stuck it out.  I feel dumb somtimes about not going back and now i feel if i did I would be so far behind.  Hey solo I have you to keep me up on all the knowledge thats out there ha ha.  I hope you guys all had a happy new year i'm going to go soak my feet in the bath tub and then put ice packs on them.
Brea