Prolonged Menstration

I am a 14 year old female. Since I have gotten my period since the age of 12 it has always been long and irregular. I am currently menstruating and have had it for about 3-4 weeks though about 7-8 weeks ago it started but stopped and after a week started up again. A gynecologist that I went to said that they could put me on birth control to see if it would regulate the estrogen and progesterone release but that I should wait until I am older. I have tried birth control before but it didn't help. This is extremely frustrating and a huge pain in my ***. I am not sexually active or have ever been.  The flow of the endometrium and blood is not very heavy and has been quite brownish-green up until recently (the last couple days) when it has turned red. If anyone could give me advice or help it would be greatly appreciated.
HI,
Prolonged bleeding at such a young age is not good. It can lead to anaemia and ill-health. An ultrasound scan must be done to look for any internal problem. Also apart from hormonal treatment other forms of treatment like haemostatic agents are available. Discuss with your Doctor.
Hope this helps.
Take care and good luck.