Thyroid medication too late in Pregnancy?

Hi, I was taking 2 grains S.R. thyroid medication and ran out, and didn't get the prescription refilled (got caught up with life, didnt see it as a big deal). Well, literally when I ran out, I got pregnant. I am about 5 weeks pregnant and went to my doctor and he said I needed to get back on the thyroid immediately, and that he might need to increase it. My question is... have I already harmed my child by being off of my thyroid medication for the first 5 weeks of pregnancy? Obviously I intend on being vigilant about it now that I know how important it is.
The thyroid being at a healthy level is imperative to sustaining your pregnancy, though I don't know that not being on it will have caused harm, and I would believe you probably conceived while on it rather than right off it.  I would continue it without fail and not stop it.  Thyroid medication is something you cannot, I repeat: cannot, simply stop.  Thyroid affects so much when it comes to your body.