Aa
A
A
A
Close
Women's Health Community
65.9k Members

What home remedies have you found helpful in treating your painful ovulation?

The best way to relieve midcycle pain is to take a non-prescription non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medication (NSAIDs), for example, Ibuprofen (Advil), naproxen (Aleve, Naprosyn), and ketoprofen (Orudis), moreover; these medicaitons are effective at blocking the effects of prostaglandins.Pain medications can be continued as long as needed. If one type does not relieve the pain, try another because these medications vary among individuals in their effectiveness.Anti-inflammatory medicine can be harsh on the stomach. If there is a history of kidney or stomach problems (such as ulcers or reflux), consult with your doctor before taking this type of medication.Taking the pain medication pills with meals may help prevent upset stomach.If anti-inflammatory medicine is not an option or if additional relief is needed, a heating pad applied to the pelvic area may relieve pain.
4 Responses
I mostly take enough rest and lie on my abdomen for some time then the pain from ovulation will subside in a while. I don't usually take medicines but my pain is severe.
I tried Tylenol for painful ovulation before reading this article. Then I took ibuprofen which seems to help more. The pain feels like cramps but only on one side of the lower abdomen.
I have been in discomfort for six years which started suddenly. Not until I read this article did I know it was a painful ovulation, yet I have been in this discomfort. I just know I do have severe pain two weeks to my period on daily basis, and I'm really sick and tired of it because I think it is stopping me from conceiving.
I have suffered though painful ovulation since I was 14. I am now 45. The only relief was pregnancy or birth control to stop ovulation. Some months are worse than others. Ibuprofen takes the edge off but nothing takes the pain away, which can bring me to tears at times. I do deep breathing like I'm in labor. Pain is severe usually for two or three hours, then moderate for 24 hours, switching sides every month.
Have an Answer?
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
From skin changes to weight loss to unusual bleeding, here are 15 cancer warning signs that women tend to ignore.
Here’s what you need to know about the transition into menopause – and life after the change takes place.
It’s more than just the “baby blues.“ Learn to recognize the signs of postpartum depression – and how to treat it.
Forget the fountain of youth – try flossing instead! Here are 11 surprising ways to live longer.
From STD tests to mammograms, find out which screening tests you need - and when to get them.
Find out if PRP therapy right for you.