Why are my periods so irregular?

I started my period the summer before 8th grade, so I was 13 or 14. I'm 17 now, almost 18, and I've only had 4 or 5 periods since my very first one. They've been really irregular, and I haven't had one since last May. I am sexually active, but I've only been sexually active since February of THIS year. It doesn't matter at this moment, but I'm really afraid I won't be able to get pregnant one day, because I really want to, and that's a HUGE sign of infertility. Someone please help? Thank you...
COMMUNITY LEADER
Hi there and welcome.  It is really VERY normal and quite common to be irregular during the teen years.  Have no fear.  It is not indicative of your future ability to get pregnant or not.  When the time comes that you are trying, you can discuss with your doctor being irregular and come up with a plan.  good luck