Why can't I stop dreaming?!

Here is some history: I'm 24, I have Anxiety/Panic disorder. I have been taking Effexor XR since April, and it seems to help with my symptoms. I also take Xanax as needed for panic attacks. This also helps. However, I have not been able to have one night's sleep without dreaming in 8 months! I told my psychiatrist, and she prescribed Ambian, which helped me fall asleep fast, but I still had dreams all night. Then she suggested taking the Xanax every night, starting with .5 mg. When that didn't work, she told me to try 2. Nothing helps. I dream all night long. Nightmares, stupid dreams, ex-boyfriend dreams, vacation dreams, high school dreams, etc. All freakin' night! I wake up in the morning feeling like my brain hasn't rested! It is getting really annoying. This happened to me a few years back when I was first diagnosed with Anxiety/Panic disorder. But it went away after about a month. This has been 8 months now!!! Does ANYONE out there know what is causing this and if there is some kind of medication out there that would help this?
I don't take any medications, and don't have nightmares, but I am similar to some of you in that I dream every night, can sometimes control the dreams, wake up exhausted, and am really tired of all the dreams. My dreams started about six to seven years ago. I've had hyperthyroidism (about six years ago, fine now) and TMJ syndrome (a year ago, still ongoing). Both are supposedly caused by stress. Through my work, and my nature, I have been a "stressed out" person for the past ten years or so. It has been really helpful reading all of your posts as I try to self-diagnose why I keep having all these exhausting dreams. In now thinking back to six or seven years ago, I realize it's when I started watching television a lot. (Like two or three hours a day.) Before then, I hardly watched at all. (Like two or three hours a week.) So I am going to try my new television theory (although it's going to kill me to pry myself away from something I've become so dependent on :)) and see how it goes. Thank you so much for all your posts!
I'm a 24 yo girl and all my life I've had terrible dreams, hundreds, at least 5 a night and I can remember them all so clearly when I wake up. My dreams are often more real than my day-life. I'm always emotionally drained and for so long I was a zombie and became trapped in my half-awake, half-dream state world of memories, grief, disasters and never-ending epics.

I was an insomniac for 9 months, sleeping less than 5 hours a week and it was probably the best year of my life, then I got into a serious relationship and started sleeping again and the dreams came back.

The ANSWER WAS my friend. She told me not to eat anything of substance before bed. It is so hard to do. No red meat, and no sugar for at least six hours before sleep, no dairy, no fats... I really look forward to breakfast now!

And I sleep... I still dream maybe one dream a night, occasionally they are bad, but it helped me a lot. I can now sleep enough to live and interact during the day time without seeming to be a mental withheld zombie.

I hope this might help someone else too.
God, there are so many idiots posting to this thread "just enjoy your dreams, we are supposed to dream" - what ******* part of "ruining lives" don't you get?!
Idiots.
Thank you so much for al of your comments. I have terrible nightmares and have had them for the past 7 months. They started after I had surgery and I was on pain medication. I then had brain surgery and continued on pain meds. I have been off of the pain medications for over a month and the nightmares have actually gotten worse. I will try the relaxation and breathing exercises and not eating before bed and see how that works. I have not had a good nights sleep in so long it will be a miracle if I get one. Last night was so bad that I thought I was being choked to death and now I am afraid to go to sleep tonight fearing that I will not wake up. It is so terrible. I at least know that I am not alone.
I'm the same way as everyone else on this thread! Very Vivid dreams, my boyfriend thinks I should just be a author b/c of how intense and ridiculous my dreams are! I also walk and talk in my sleep. My mom found me in the neighbors swimming pool once! I'll even have an entire conversation with you while asleep and swear to you that i'm awake, but nothing I'm saying makes any sense! Ive been like this for years but its getting worse with age, probably because more is being expected of me. I'm twenty years old and have seen many doctors over this, it all seems to point towards anziety and how I'm handeling it DURING the day. If I keep it all in and dont deal with a problem in my waking hours it'll affect me while sleeping. What helps me is drinking a glass of wine before bed (over the counter PM stuff just makes me drowsy all day) and making a list of everything I have to get done the next day or anything I didnt get done that day. Just get it all out so youre not dealing with it while sleeping... I will look into the breathing and relaxation techneques too, I think there may be promise there. Dreaming is nice especially if you have a good imagination but if its all the time you really have to do something about it, especially when you have a hard time distiguishing dreams from life. Good luck to everyone, its good to know I'm not crazy!!!! haha
I'm not on any medication although I do have anxiety and various other mental health issues. I've always remembered my dreams, but recently every time I sleep I'm having crazy dreams that I can't shake when I wake up. 3 hours ago I woke up, from a two hour sleep, crying because I had been dreaming about holding a gun to a small girls face. I haven't been able to get back to sleep at all, and now I have to be up in less than 3 hours. These dreams are ruining my life, screwing with my sleep pattern and leaving me exhausted. Are there any tips/meds that could help? Everyone suggests dream journals but that only keeps the dream in my thoughts longer. I usually feel reasonably relaxed when I fall asleep so "thinking happy thoughts" achieves nothing. Slightly relieved to know I'm not the only one suffering - was starting to think I was losing it a little. Good luck to everyone with the same problem.

You are reading content posted in the Women's Health Community