Aa
A
A
A
Close
Women's Health Community
65.5k Members

amenorrhea

I have been going through amenorrhea for a couple of years now.  I never had a regular period since I started having periods at the age of 17, so at first I didn't think anything of it.  But when I started being concerned about it (after not having my period for about a year) they told me that my prolactin levels were too high and that I had prolactinoma and a mass around my pituitary gland.  The endocrinologist put me on bromocriptine which got rid of the mass and lowered my prolactin levels and my period returned, but only when I kept on the medicine.  This medicine made me sick and I stopped taking it and started looking for a natural alternative.  I found Maca and started on that, I had a VERY heavy period that month and after that nothing again, so I switched to Vitex, which did nothing for me.  I just started seeing a obgyn and she ran a bunch of blood tests and mri's and whatnot.  They all came back "normal".  So there should be nothing wrong right?  Wrong, I am still not having my period.  The obgyn put me on the generic for provera for 10 days and now I am on my period (day 1).  

My question is, if my hormones and everything are "normal" why is the generic provera helping me have my period and is there anything that I can take/do to help my period come on its own?
1 Responses
This response may contain graphic content.
Please or to view.
Have an Answer?
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
From skin changes to weight loss to unusual bleeding, here are 15 cancer warning signs that women tend to ignore.
Here’s what you need to know about the transition into menopause – and life after the change takes place.
It’s more than just the “baby blues.“ Learn to recognize the signs of postpartum depression – and how to treat it.
Forget the fountain of youth – try flossing instead! Here are 11 surprising ways to live longer.
From STD tests to mammograms, find out which screening tests you need - and when to get them.
Find out if PRP therapy right for you.