Abuse Support Community
how to deal with an abusive, whining friend

This community is for discussions relating to emotional, physical, sexual, social, spiritual, spousal, and verbal abuse. Please note, this community is not monitored by professionals, rather questions will be answered by other members of the community.

My friend is 50. He's educated, but has been fired from a majority of the jobs. He now works entry level, blue collar positions and is miserable. He whines about everything. If I offer advise, he becomes abusive and nasty. I get off the phone feeling like my head's going to explode and my heart pounding.

I've been told that this is a behavior disorder. How is it stopped?
-11 Comments Post a Comment
Someone can only treat you like this if you allow it. I would put my foot down and tell him that I will no longer be a door mat for him to treat badly, and then stick to it. He will either change or you will no longer have to deal with him. Either way, you win.
just ask your friend whose fault it was that he lost these jobs also point out that he is becoming a boring person to be around, and to [please change his attitude, if he gets mad and abusive just tell him if he is going to blow a fuse when someone trys to give him advice just to quit whining to you if he keeps it up just tell him to stay away until he straightens himself out   luck  jo
The cool thing is,  you don't have to be his friend.  You get to choose your friends - and if this guy is irritating to you all the time (or most of the time) then quit talking to him.  Let it go.