Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Help for oxycontin withdrawl(withdrawal)

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Can anyone help me, I have read a few posts but alot of the drugs you talk about are not available in Canada. My Son is addicted to Oxycontin a drug I take on a daily basis for chronic pain. I went into taking it myself knowing I would be on the drug for the rest of my life, It's a matter of pain management and being able to function. I only found out about my son's addiction this week I knew but didn't realise how bad it was till I had to go pay for my Jewelry he pawned. He has asked me to help him he has tried to get off the drug but has not been able to. He thinks he can take one a day for a week then come off completely I don't think this will work and I think he will still have withdrawl (withdrawal) symptoms when he stops in a week. I am going to let him stay with my mom for a week till he's ready to come off then I'll stay there with him while he goes thru withdrawl (withdrawal). He seems to think this is the best way and that once the drug is out of his system he'll be fine. What is the best way for someone to do this at home and on his own. And personally I don't think he is being realistic believing his craving will go away once the drug is out of his system. I have never dealt with someone detoxing or going thru withdrawl (withdrawal) so any help anyone can give me I would appreciate. Thanks
You should get a Doctor involved. He is being honest and open so take advantage of that and do it right.
I agree with Coolio, get a doctor involved!

If he goes cold turkey, he will be in horrendous pain. I dont agree with some posters when they advise cold turkey, because withdrawals can cause some serious problems.

Take him to your family practitioner and be honest. Let the doc know how much he is taking and that he wants to stop. Doc's generally will have compassion and they dont want to see patients suffer withdrawal, so they prescribe another drug that binds to the same receptors in the brain- but is not addictive.

How much (mgs) per day is he taking? Take that into consideration if he really wants to go C/T. Advise and educate him on the risks of withdrawal and how he will feel.

Withdrawal is the first step. Recovery is a life long process. Let him know that even after he is not chemically dependent on the drug, he will still have to battle the psychological end of it. Trading addictions is very common- many people go from one drug to another only to find that they are no better than before; they just have an entirely new addiction!  Hope this helps. See a doc.
Dose is very important to decide which avenue to take....high doses may require more than CT like tapering..some even do the sub short term....it is good that he loves and trusts u enuf to ask for help....there are a few ways to quit...tapering and CT probably the most used...then there is sub, inpatient, or some areas have outpatient detox centers...he need s to start going to meetings...NA  1-818.773-999...meetings are everywhere at all times of the day...it would be great if he could post with us on the forum as well...skim thru the health pages...good info there...keep posting
The doctor is not helpful he is famous for prescribing Oxycontin that is what he will give him to come off more drugs his friends go to him all the time they say the want to get off and he gives them enough to come down. He has been taking between six and 10 a day depending on the strength so around 120 mg a day min. I can get him whatever he needs to get clean I just don't know what will help. The drugs you talk about we don't get here in Canada. Obviously I can get valium, ritalin, dexidrine I can give him anti axiety medication to sleep and help with withdrawl (withdrawal). I just need to know what or how much. He is starting tomorrow. He will go down to one a day I don't have much faith it'll work but he's going to be in the middle of nowhere with my mom and no drugs but the ones I give him to last the week. Then he will go cold turkey, he doesn't listen and there is no reasoning with him he doesn't believe he will have cravings once the drug is out of his system so that he will have to learn. Sometimes you have to live it to learn it he's stubborn. If seeing one of his friends pay to put a shunt in his body for 8 thousand dollars that is an opiate blocker doesn't give him a clue nothing will. I will take him to the doctor tomorrow b4 he leaves the city doubt he will prescribe him anything. I normally go in and tell him what to prescribe me!
try looking into suboxone
i would not use any stimulants like adderall (adderrall)....valium may help...use it in small pieces as needed...like a 10 mg pill can be up to 4 doses...if u can get him something designed for sleep instead of the benzos...immodium/liquid works fastest.....stock up on the supps from the thomas recipe...EmergenC from walmart helps as it is mixed with water...push the fluids to avoid dehydration....encourage him to go for long walks when he can...keep posting..he is lucky to have u
Well as I expected the doctor was no help the only thing he wanted to prescribe was oxycontin I said no thanks. My son has realised today that going from 7-10 pills a day to one wasn't realistic. He has been able to stay at 2 a day for 3 days. Some people say try Dexidrine in the morning or Ritalin I would think that would be better than the first option for him which is reaching for the oxycontin. He atleast realised on his own he shouldn't be in control of his drugs.