Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
OT Comfort Foods?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

OT Comfort Foods?

As part of my recovery process I am bigtime into cooking and baking again right now, partly to keep myself busy, partly to feed my family and partly as comfort foods. I was just curious what are some of your favorite comfort foods? do you cook or just eat what someone else cooks? Some of my favorite things to make and eat are chicken and dumplings, beef veggie stew, cheesy cream of potato soup, casseroles, chili, lasagna, roasted turkey that I inject with herb marinades, and of course cakes, pies, cookies and sweet breads, lol.  
yummmmmmmmm, i'll be over!!
after 5 years of back trouble my health is not nearly as good as it should be, im 30 lbs overweight and cholesterol is very high (250) :O

im off almost everything yummy for a while, oatmeal and veggies only :(

also considering going mostly vegetarian again as i like animals and hate suffering.
all sounds really good to me. Could I get the receipe for the cheesy potato soup ?
I'd love to get your chicken and dumpling recipe.  I make some and love them, but always looking for good recipes.
I too have a renewed interest in cooking. Started making baked potato soup, risotto, and I love to bake bread.  I love the way the house smells when the bread is baking!
Good for you - keep up the good work.  How are things with  hubby today?
my mother, who was single and raising 3 kids, cooked a lot of crock pot meals.  I have fond memories of Ham hocks and lima beans, split pea and ham soup, chili, and chicken and dumplings.  Seems like the crock-pot meals tasted even better the 2nd and 3rd days, if they lasted that long!
I can smell the love!!!

Trouble you got me started here and then Lurker really got my sniffer going with the image of bread and chix & dumplings.....Yummie!!!!

Funny thing, I also started cooking again. I am loving finding new recipes and trying things for the first time. Of course I always make hubby taste it first...LOL

Now I am hungry..hhmm.....LOL
can you send me a good recipe for chicken and dumplings.......you can PM me

thanks,
Nauty................
I use my crock pot a lot - never thought about doing the chicken and dumplings in there.  I could just put it on in the morning and then when I get home do the dumplings.  OK, now I've got to go to the store.  I can't believe you can buy crock pot meals in the frozen food section.  I mean what's up with that?  Just put a lot of fresh foods in there and you get the same thing only it tastes so much better!!
Comfort food is a wonderful, but dangerous thing once the weather gets that little nip in the air I tend to do a bit of cooking to fulfill that mmmmmm feeling.  Normally my hub cooks during the week (although I get to pick what gets defrosted).  I had to step down from cooking once the kids all flew the coup - they've been gone 4 years and I still don't know how to manage to cook for just 2!  Just can't seem to cut those recipes down.  So when the kids left and me and hub decided to do a school yard pick to divvy the chores I certainly didn't argue when he picked cooking dinner.  I did the first 20 years, so have at it.  Now I cook like I shop - a strategic strike!  Once in a while, fast and while no one is really looking.  At least yesterday's endeavor with the pies for a dinner we had to go to didn't leave anyone writhing on the floor in pain, or a call for assistance to 911.  

Chicken & Dumps in Ohio - Sounds familiar to what we had in our house growing up - I was born/raised on east side of Cleve, Oh and Grandma was fresh off the boat from Budapest.  Chicken & Dumps was one of her specialties.

TMTC
......
off to see if I can find a left over piece of pie!
My very favorite comfort food...

When I will little, my Mom used to make me the same thing when I was sick.  To this day, when I don't feel good, it's what I want.  Understand, she is Italian and an awesome cook.  But this was my comfort food:

Grits and toast!  LOL

Yep...I'm a southern girl.

Rosie