Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
So HOW do I deal with pain?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

So HOW do I deal with pain?

Thank you guys for your replies to my post. I was in somewhat of a quandry the other day when I posted. My aunt died and I was going over my life with a fine comb. Realizing I hide this from my husband is kind of scary. I can rationalize it, but I feel like this massive fraud.

My question is... if you are cutting out (or thinking of cutting out) addictive drugs, what do you take to deal with pain? Again, I have fibromyalgia and I honestly hurt so bad sometimes that I can't imagine NOT having meds to take.

I also take Xanax, but have never considered this as a problem. I have generalized anxiety disorder, and take Effexor and Xanax. I have a serious thyroid problem and take Synthroid... Lyrica, Flexeril, Lortab and Tramadol for the fibromyalgia. I also have CFS. I feel like a walking health problem!!

Thanks in advance!
Hello over there I used to feel the same way about my back.
For you fibromyalgia will always cause you pain its not about that its how much pain can  you manage.
NSAIDS work for pain but in your addiction no-way.
You have to do a lot of research and try new things that are not narcotics.
The problem with taking the pain pills is you will constantly have to take more to get the same relief. Also I found that the pain pills were actually making the pain worse.  I would suggest getting off them for a month to re-evaluate your pain.  Talk to your doctor, see if there is other alternatives.  I know pain is awful, so many of here deal with it.  Just some thoughts for you to think about.  Keep reading and posting on this forum. It helps.  Best wishes..    Mary
That is so true.  I was taking percs for years for a repetitive strain injury and I didn't realize that the meds were making my pain worse until I got off them.  That may not be the case with fibro but at least you will get a better handle on the intensity of your pain if you go off to re-evaluate.  Good luck.
I agree with Mary about re-evaluating the pain. 60+ days off vicodin I am realizing that I was taking them more for the metal relief than the physical. Two non-drug items have helped are acupuncture and meditation. Read one of the books from Dr John Sarno about healing pain. The one I read was for back pain by he said the same technique would help fibromyalgia. You have to keep an open mind when you read it, at first I thought it was BS, but I think he is right.
there are many of us dealing with chronic pain . You will be shocked how much your pain level will drop after 30 to 60 days without the meds .I can now deal with my pain with motrin and a muscle relaxer called zanaflax .if you had told me this would work for me when i was on my pain meds i would have laughed at you . At one point my pain was so bad that i could not imagine living like this everyday .I also have to add in the tramadol your taking is addicting as well .that was my DOC .....
I hear that so often... the pain meds made my pain worse.  With my experience, that statement is so far from true it's not even funny.  Pain meds in no way ever made my pain worse.  I have went without pain meds for months at a time and found that without them my pain was just plain old intolerable.  It is getting better now because it's been over a year since my surgery and my back is finally starting to heal but I'm just not sure that I buy into the statement that pain meds make your pain worse.  I read that everyday on this forum but for me at least I don't think it's a true statement.  Just had to say my peace!  No offense!  Please note that I said, "for me, and my situation".

Trout
I agree with you wholeheartedly. People often sneer at the disease I have, and have called our symptoms "vague" and "unconfirmed." However, when I cry because of the effort of walking across the room, I'd like to VAGUE someone in the head. The pain meds were all that helped. I did seek alternative routes. The summer WAS spent without meds, so I have a reference point. My pain didn't decrease.

I ultimately am going to have to decide a) if my addictive behavior is becoming (or is already) a problem... b) if I'm responsible enough to take the meds ONLY when I need them and c) being open with my husband about all of it.

I suffer from princess syndrome. My amazing husband puts me on a pedestal, and I don't want to fall off!!! :)

It is frustrating to me that I fall in the percentage that the meds that help my pain (Lortab) are ones that make me feel euphoric at times. Other people take it and sleep for days.

I have gone without meds (no tramadol or Lortab), but I also can't deal with being in chronic pain. I'm a publisher and a wife and a mom. Debilitating pain is something I don't have TIME for... I would love to have the time to spend a day in bed instead of taking meds to get around... but it isn't a reality for me.

I have a new perspective from all of these posts. I think I have the potential to be addicted, and the way I feel from taking Lortab is not healthy... especially when I've taken it as a coping thing. I am responsible for my behavior... no one else will get the blame, and I've asked for help keeping me accountable. I think this is where my journey has answered questions I had and given me a line I can't cross.