Allergic reaction to certain whiskey
My boyfriend found out a few years ago that he has an allergic reaction to certain types of whiskey. Its usually the stronger or top shelf ones. He's ok with Jack daniels and stuff, but makers mark, crown, and especially wild turkey cause him to breakout in a rash, shortness of breath, hot flash. Usually benedryl helps but what is causing this reaction?
Welcome to the forum!
The allergic reaction could be due to yeast allergy which is used in brewing. The level of yeast varies from alcohol to alcohol and this could bring the variation in tolerance level.
The other allergies associated with alcohol like whisky is gluten allergy. Again the difference in distillation process could be the reason for difference in tolerance.
Hope this helps. It is difficult to comment beyond this at this stage. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!