Aa
A
A
Close
Avatar universal
Allergic to dorm room fridges??
I am a 21 year old male living in Louisville KY entering my junior year of college. I have no known serious allergies.

Two years ago, my roommate brought a fridge to the dorm, and everything was fine. Last year when I moved into my dorm room I sneezed and coughed for about the first two months straight. Then I realized that the cause was the mini-fridge that I had brought. I sniffed it, reacted immediately with deep coughing and sneezing and quickly got rid of it and lived the rest of the year using a cooler. This summer, my dad bought a new fridge, but as soon as it come in my house, without it even being plugged in, I had the same immediate reaction. We of course returned it.
Taking a benadryl reduced the reactions, but it still comes. Going back to the dorms next year, is there anything I can do to eliminate this allergic reaction? What chemical in some (but not all) mini-fridges cause this? Could there be mold in a never-before used fridge?

Thanks
Cancel
1 Answers
Page 1 of 1
351246 tn?1379685732
Hi
Welcome to the forum!
Yes, it is possible there is mold. Post manufacturing, it depends on how the fridge was packed, where it was stored etc. If it had been kept in a moist area then it is possible that it had developed mold somewhere. You can undergo a scratch test to know if the mold spores are there in your body. For this you need to consult an allergy specialist. Proper treatment of the fungus can help relieve allergy.
No, this does not appear due to chemicals in the fridge.
Hope this helps. It is difficult to comment beyond this at this stage. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Avatar universal
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Your Answer
Avatar universal
Answer
Know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Submit Answer
A
A
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Allergy Community Resources