Allergy Community
Asymptomatic high IgE... concerning?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Asymptomatic high IgE... concerning?

I have been really confused by my 7-yr-old's recent and only lab results:  total IgE 5000s and RAST class 2-5 for foods which have been mostly tolerated (not surprised by the class 6 for peanuts and cashews due to a previous anaphylaxis), and recent cessation of all symptoms (mild eczema and mild asthma) during the last 6 months thanks to a strict anti-candida diet.

My questions are these:  are elevated IgE levels problematic ON THEIR OWN?  If I keep giving my child foods which DO NOT cause symptoms but are showing moderate elevation of specific IgE, will the overall potential for morbidity increase (in other words, must I avoid all RAST class 3 or higher allergens for fear of increasing sensitivity or increasing severity of reactions?  AND is there a possibility that unmonitored rising IgE levels could cause a worse  disorder)?  
What is the potential for long-term tissue damage with elevated total IgE in the absence of any symptoms?  
Is there a way to decrease IgE levels without the use of drugs?

I don't feel that my allergist has adequately addressed my concerns and will be seeking a second opinion.
I intend to keep my child on a low-allergen diet without challenging for awhile.  I hope to decrease the total IgE with avoidance.  I do believe that diet has a huge impact on our health and am trying to avoid preservatives and chemicals and artificial flavorings as much as practically possible.

Any information about IgE levels would be appreciated.  I feel very anxious about it and had been enjoying a healthier child before getting these results.

Thank you.
Tags: ige, high ige