Allergy Community
Can I take more than 1 Zyrtec a day for cronic(chronic) hives

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

I have had cronic (chronic) hives for the last 2years living in CT and before that 4 years living in FL. for a total of 6 straight years. I have been taking 1/2 of a Zyrtec daily to keep them away.  Every so often I stop the Zyrtec to see if I still have them.  This is what I just did and now they are with me once again.  Can I take more then 1 pill a day until they are gone?  The print on the bottle of Zrtec is so small that I can not read it.

Sue  
Avatar dr f tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

I understand you have been taking 5 mg of Zyrtec. You can increase it to 10mg if your rash is worsening. But in patients 77 years of age and older, a dose of 5 mg once daily is recommended. However, if you develop additional symptoms like problems with breathing or rash and itchiness all over, you will need to go to the ER, as you may need steroids and epinephrine.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.