Allergy Community
Can't figure out what i'm allergic to.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Can't figure out what i'm allergic to.

Ever since i was smaller i have gotten hives and sometimes my eyes will swell shut, lips swell, and sometimes affects my throat and i still do get hives and i have been taken to the doctors before and they could not figure out what it was that i was allergic to and to this day i still can't figure it out. As of recently my spouse said it could be a heat reaction. I have noticed i am always very hot when they appear. So basically i guess I'm asking if it could be a heat reaction. Help Please. Also i usually take benadryl...is there something better i should take?
Your best bet is to get an allergen test done. This means they mark your arm with a grid and then pinprick as many allergens as you think you might be allergic or reactive to, and then you wait to see if the skin reacts with a little blister effect. Sure it costs money to do, but in the end it is worth it. My daughter had this done and was allergic to quite a few things, including cat dander (the skin flakes not the fur) and we owned a cat! Once you know what it is you can avoid it. If you do not avoid it in the end it may end up with you not being able to breathe without help (tracheotomy)
If you cannot afford to do the testing then do what I did for my own allergies, go through a list. Check if you bought different laundry powders/liquids, foods, drinks, medications, etc. Sometimes it isn't obvious till we slow down and think about it. I am extremely reactive to anything which has perfumes and bleaches in it, that is NOT an allergy. I AM allergic to Pethidine and Codeine, which I react as you do, however if I ever have them again I will die. However, for years prior I found I was having the same reaction as you to many different cough medicines (which contain codeine) The body will build less tolerance each time you have what it is you personally are allergic to, and this can be detrimental. Believe me, I URGE you to get tested, the hives and lip swelling are VERY true allergy reactions not just a simple itchy or red skin reaction. This is your body's way of telling you NOT to have what ever it is you do or take, or touch.   I wear a MedicAlert bracelet now due to the seriousness of the allergy.
I cannot stress enough that what you are going through is like the warning that it will be bad one day. Please go see a doctor.