Allergy Community
Constant Sinus Drainage

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Constant Sinus Drainage

For the past 3 months I have been suffering from a constant sinus drainage. It becomes extremely difficult for me to breath at night also. Sometimes I try to clear my throat and I can't swallow which makes me panic. On top of breathing  issues the doctor says I have something called GERD. I know it sounds silly but everything seems to go hand in hand. I had to stop taking my adipex my doctor prescribes because I thought it was causing the "constricting" of my throat sometimes when I could breathe (due to heart palpitations as the doctors diagnosed it). It's 10:37 at night and I should be sleeping but the drainage is driving me crazy. I work as a chemist in a pharmaceutical company so the constant cold air in the lab makes it ten times worse. Lately I have had a sore throat to accompany the drainage. How should I explain it to my doctor so she doesn't think it's all in my head.

First of all, the diagnosis of sinusitis or sinus infection has to be confirmed. This can be done through transillumination (passing light through the sinuses) or Sinus X-rays or CAT scan of sinuses.

If it is sinusitis it seems chronic (>30 days) in your case.

Treatment of sinusitis involves Oral antibiotics (usually 10 to 14 days). They are to be taken on prescription. You can use an over-the-counter (OTC) decongestant combined with an anti-inflammatory analgesic (pain reliever) like Ibuprofen. However, you should not use decongestants for more than 5-7 days at a time. Symptoms can also be relieved by using a saline nasal spray or a nasal spray that contains corticosteroids. Corticosteroids work by helping to reduce inflammation and congestion.

The golden rule for chronic stuffy nose is steam inhalation. Inhaling steam from a bowl of hot (but not boiling water) may help to soften, and loosen, the build up of mucus in your nose. You may also find that adding some menthol crystals, or eucalyptus oil, to the water, helps to ease your symptoms of catarrh.

Are you having gastritis or acid reflux? They are symptoms of GERD.You can take some antacids and see if you feel relieved. Also eat healthy, nutritious food at least 2 hrs prior to bedtime and elevate the head of the bed.

Take care and do keep us posted on how you are doing.