Allergy Community
Food Allergies and Forced Vomitting

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Food Allergies and Forced Vomitting

I have a 7-yo with a fairly severe dairy allergy, probably a 4 out of 5 in severity.  Haven't had to give him the Epipen shot yet but been pretty close a few times.  A double dose of Benadryl has handled all the situations we've been in.

If he injests something with a significant amount of dairy, he sometimes ends up throwing up, but usually not.  One time he has had a secondary reaction that we attributed to the Benadryl wearing off in the middle of the night.  It was less severe than the first reaction but caught him off guard (and us too) and was pretty upsetting.  I think the Benadryl works for about 4 hours.  

We heard another parent with a kid with a food allergy recommend forcing the child to throw up if they injest something in order to prevent the secondary reaction from happening when the allergen gets digested later.

What are people's experience with this method and do they recommend doing it or not?  The initial reaction is fairly severe and getting the Benadryl in him is key as it takes about 15-20 min to work.  (If he has breathing problems we would give him the Epipen shot, but he hasn't yet.)  It seems to me trying to get him to throw up would cause a delay in getting the medicine in him unless he could do it immediately.  His reaction is primarily a contact reaction so it gets swelling in his mouth and around his lips although his most severe reaction are anaphylactic in that he starts sneezing and getting very congested, tight chest,  sort of similar symptoms to a Hay Fever attack even though he didn't breath in the allergen, it just came into contact with his mouth and he ate it.

I'm wondering if the benefit of getting the allergen out of his stomach comes at a cost of exposing his throat and mouth to the food with the allergen in it a second time.  In addition, throwin up alone gets most people congested.  Seems like it could just excaserbate the sitatuation.

Maybe the better solution is to give him a longer acting anithistamine?  Do they make an extended relief version that has the same active ingredient as Benadryl that is available for kids?

Decisions. Decisions.
-8 Comments Post a Comment

Does your 7 year old tolerate soy ? If so, I would consider giving him soymilk and soy cheese.

I can tell you that there is a homeopathic product for people who have dairy allergies. My husband used to get these huge welts after he would drink a glass of milk... after he used the product, no more welts. I would suggest trying something like that and cutting down (or cut out) the dairy products completely.