Allergy Community
Odd fish allergy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Odd fish allergy

I am so glad I found this site!! I have been living with an odd allergy and it drives me insane. Hopefully with your help I can come closer to understanding the allergy.

In short, I am allergic to some fish and not others. The reaction is stomach/chest discomfort, itchy and swollen throat etc. I noticed this many many years ago (I am 38) when I ate Tuna. This allergy is so frustrating to me because I love the taste of fish.

There was a time when I could eat Tuna in a Subway sandwhich and have no issue but it was rare as most of the time I react. Pretty simple so far but here is where it gets odd and confuses me. I have tried McDonalds Filet O' Fish back when they used either Pollak or Hoki. One made me react and one did not. Below is a short list of fish I know I am UNABLE to eat..

Tuna
Trout
Most (if not all) white fish
Pretty sure Cod but not sure on Tilapia (Took a bite of fried cod and had no issue last night but have had issues before with Cod)
Some imitation crab

BUT, I CAN eat the following in ALL YOU CAN EAT quantities.
Salmon
Shark
(Anything in a shell)
Crab
Shrimp
Lobster
Clams
Oyster
Prawns
Squid

I used to think it was the fish oil but I take fish oil pills and never have a problem with any type of fish oil. I would really like to keep a list of fish I can eat but that would involve me trying them all and writing it down. If I knew I could take something to limit my reaction it may be worth a try.
Any advice or input would be much appreciated. I am just really confused as to what I am actually allergic to.
Hi and sorry the late reply, since your allergies are quite extensive with types of fish, if you have some extra money or insurance, go to a allergy clinic and have some testing done. They will best guide you on what to do. You might not have an allergy at all but might be some other issue,