Allergy Community
Sense of Smell changed, Sore throat and Stuffy nose every morning

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

For almost a year now my sense of smell has been off.  It started when I woke up one day with a sore throat and stuffy nose, but I wasn't sick.  Ever since then I often wake up like this with a sore throat and stuffy nose.  It goes away after I'm up for a while, but comes back the next day, but my sense of smell isn't as strong as it used to be. I also have very dry eyes and smell a dusty smell even though there isn't any dust.  I was wondering if maybe I have allergies that I don't know about.

And also I don't know if this is related, but sometimes I feel a tightness in my chest.  It's only when I wash dishes.  I don't know if it's the constant motion of washing that hurts my chest, but it worries me.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi, any stiffness or blockage in the nose can cause you to smell something that is not there or it can cause a loss of smell sensation. The fact that your symptoms vary according to positions could indicate a sinus problem. It could also cause a post nasal drip which can cause throat irritation and nasal stuffiness. The chest tightness if it worsens with exercise then it may need evaluation to rule out angina. To find a cure you need to consult your primary care physician for proper assessment. Take care.