Allergy Community
Tongue and lips numb and swollen

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Tongue and lips numb and swollen

Yesterday I ate a cheeseball at a party and right away my tongue was tingling and then within the hour my tongue swelled and my lips were numb. Never had this happen. Today my tongue and lips still feel funny? Worry should I go see a dr, also took bendryl all night.
Avatar dr f tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

The swelling could be due to angioedema. This is swelling of the deeper layers of the skin due to an allergic reaction. The reaction occurs more commonly on the face around the lips and near the eyes. Therapy lies in identifying the allergens and avoiding them and anti histamines. If the present anti histamines (bendrly) are not very effective you can consult your doctor for long acting ones.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.