Allergy Community
hydrocodone chlorphen/ram susp & levaquin

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

I have bronchitis and was prescribed the above drugs.   I took them at bedtime and just awoke suddenly 3 hrs later and had no breath and could not speak or yell for help.   I felt like my airway was blocked.  

I have never had an allergic reaction, and it is 3:00 am here - and I am afraid to go back to sleep - for fear it will happen again.   Is this a side effect or allergic reaction?   I called the hospital and they said since I was speaking now, I was all right and to take the medicine when someone can oversee it.  

I never want to experience that again - and have left a message for my doctor to call me in the morning.  

Is this a side effect - to have your breathing impaired.   I took one teaspoon as directed.
Hi, welcome to the forum, your history is suggestive of that you are having drug allergy to hydrocodone or levaquin. Some patients have reported to have itching (in more than 10%), rash and development of hives. You are having bronchospasm which is secondary to release of histamine in the body.

The possibilities for allergy are due to presence of Phenanthrene in opioids. You can even develop hypersensitivity reactions to other phenanthrene derivative opioid agonists (codeine, hydrocodone, hydromorphone, levorphanol, oxycodone, oxymorphone).

From history it is difficult to point out offending drug. Subsequent exposure can be life threatening. Hence, future exposure to such drugs should be avoided. Take care and regards.