Allergy Community
reaction food/tongue

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

reaction food/tongue

I am 46 and have been eating whatever I want with no problems. Lately whenever i eat a tomatoe or citrus my tongue gets swollen and itchy. To much acid in my system or what?

Swollen tongue after eating tomatoes and citrus fruits means that you are showing allergic reaction in the form of angioedema to it. The tomato plant is a member of the Deadly Nightshade family, which also includes the eggplant, tobacco, foxglove and potatoes.  An allergy to tomato is rare and the worst parts of the plant for causing an allergic reaction seem to be the seeds, skin and juice.

If you had an angioedema to tomatoes and citrus fruits can be found by allergy testing.Skin tests are used for this purpose. This test involves pricking, scratching or injecting food extracts into the patient’s skin. The skin will react with redness and swelling for those extracts capable of eliciting an allergic reaction when consumed.Other tests used are blood tests like RAST and food challenge tests.

You need to consult an allergist for confirming whether your symptoms were due to food allergy or other pathological conditions like canker sores.Also take some vit B12 for some days and see if the symptoms persist.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing or in case you have any additional doubts.Kind regards.