Arthritis Community
Ankylosing Spondylitis

Ankylosing Spondylitis

i was diagnosed with A.S. about 6 years ago. It runs in my family, my father has it. They say that one thing that helps ease the pain is to stay active. my job is very active. I work for a Utility company, so i am constantly walking, being physical, getting in and out of a bucket truck. Sometime's I take walks with my family if the pain isn''t that bad. At first (before i was diagnosed), i always had back pain, which i contributed to my job. I have been doing physical labor ever since i had to w/drawal from college, so of course i thought it was that. It got to the point where i would be "knocked down" from the pain. My hand's would go useless. I was starting to not be able to do the things i would normally do. The pain just progressively worse. My father had just been diagnosed with A.S., and the doctor told him it was hereditary. I went to the doctor and took the blood test, the x-rays, etc. etc.. it came back that i had the HLA-B27 in my path tests (i think i explained that right). I do have my lower disc missing as well. So my doctor started me out on Percodan 5's for a bit. Well, 6 years later i am on Percocet 10's. My question is, do you grow a tolerance to these med's? They dont last that long in taking the pain away. I am afraid to say that to my doctor b/c i am afraid he will think i am trying to "score" something better. I dont want to be a drug addict, i DONT WANT TO BE IN PAIN!!! All i want to be able to do is hold my fiance, my son's. i want to play baseball with them w/o having to stop b/c the pain is so bad. What should i tell my doctor? What should i do to be able to feel normal and almost pain free, b/c i know with what i have i will always be in pain. Any response or support is greatly appreciated......
I'm so sorry you're feeling this way.  A. S. runs in my family as well although I've not been diagnosed at this point.  I would suggest that you ask your pain med question on the pain management forum which is related to this one.  The people there have some good experience in this area.  Also, you might want to see about going to a pain management doctor for some help.  Good luck.