A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Ankylosing Spondylitis

i was diagnosed with A.S. about 6 years ago. It runs in my family, my father has it. They say that one thing that helps ease the pain is to stay active. my job is very active. I work for a Utility company, so i am constantly walking, being physical, getting in and out of a bucket truck. Sometime's I take walks with my family if the pain isn''t that bad. At first (before i was diagnosed), i always had back pain, which i contributed to my job. I have been doing physical labor ever since i had to w/drawal from college, so of course i thought it was that. It got to the point where i would be "knocked down" from the pain. My hand's would go useless. I was starting to not be able to do the things i would normally do. The pain just progressively worse. My father had just been diagnosed with A.S., and the doctor told him it was hereditary. I went to the doctor and took the blood test, the x-rays, etc. etc.. it came back that i had the HLA-B27 in my path tests (i think i explained that right). I do have my lower disc missing as well. So my doctor started me out on Percodan 5's for a bit. Well, 6 years later i am on Percocet 10's. My question is, do you grow a tolerance to these med's? They dont last that long in taking the pain away. I am afraid to say that to my doctor b/c i am afraid he will think i am trying to "score" something better. I dont want to be a drug addict, i DONT WANT TO BE IN PAIN!!! All i want to be able to do is hold my fiance, my son's. i want to play baseball with them w/o having to stop b/c the pain is so bad. What should i tell my doctor? What should i do to be able to feel normal and almost pain free, b/c i know with what i have i will always be in pain. Any response or support is greatly appreciated......