Back and leg pain getting worse!
In December 2006, I had an mri done on my lower back. It says there is a slight loss of signal at the L5 S1 level, with mild posterior disc bulging at L5 S1.What exactly does this mean, mainly the loss of signal thing. Over the years my back and leg pain is getting a lot worse, can't take much more of it! My yearly physical is coming up next week and I'm thinking about asking to have another mri done, but I would like to know what the first one means. Any help you could give would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Hi there!

Signals are used in diagnostic imaging to construct images and signal loss is associated with a number of pathologies. A disc bulge is the initial stage of a disc prolapsed. The symptoms of leg pain could be related to deterioration of the condition or could be due to unrelated reasons as well. I would suggest consulting a neurologist or an orthopedician for an accurate diagnosis and appropriate management.
Hope this helps.

Take care!