Arthritis Community
TKR pain

TKR pain

I am 8 weeks out tkr, 136 flex, and 0 ext, strength is good due to pre-surgery exercise program. However, I have pain, cramping and soreness, that (bear with me on anatomical terms) seems to be below the knee, outside (lateral?) on a the top of the tibia, I think that a few ligaments/muscles attach to this bone. Anyway, the pain goes down my calf toward my ankle, and also up my thigh,(IT Band?) I massage and do some Theraband exercises, But this just pain persists! Question is,..are there any direct PT exercises to help? and, is this common, and will recede with time and PT?

This discussion is related to TKR post op 8 wks.
Hi there,

I haven't had knees replaced, only hips, but I know people who have gone through knee replacement and trust me, hips are MUCH easier. :)  

From what I've observed, it takes a long, long time to fully recover from knee surgery. You will probably have some level of pain over several months while you continue therapy. It is very important to keep up with that PT, as you're probably been told, no matter how much it hurts.

Make sure you tell the therapist all areas of persistent pain; he or she will probably be able to tell you what structures are involved and hopefully reassure you that what you're experiencing is part of the process. If you're really concerned, go back to the surgeon to follow up.