Arthritis Community
knee pain while sleeping?

knee pain while sleeping?

For the past several days I have been suffering with severe knee pain that begins when I go to sleep.  I wake up in the middle of the night multiple times with shooting pains throughout my legs, but mostly in my knees, and keep having to readjust my position until I can fall asleep for another half an hour.  When I do finally wake up in the morning, my knees are incredibly stiff and painful (usually one is worse than the other, but it's not the same one each day.) The knee that hurts worst at the time feels like a yo-yo with a twisted string when I lift the leg; it throbs and feels out of control like it wants to spin off in a million directions. I can't straighten it out to walk and I start my day off dragging my bad leg around wherever I go.  By mid-afternoon, the pain has usually subsided enough for me to walk at a regular pace, but my legs (and knees especially) still feel very sore and tired. Then I go to bed and the cycle starts all over again. If you have any idea what this could be and what action I should take, please let me know. Thanks for your time.

Some medical history:
About a year and one month ago I had an accident and crushed my L2, L3, and L4 vertebrae.  I had two spinal surgeries where they fused the bone and put in a screw and some rods and plates.  My back healed nicely, and aside from the occasional sore and stiff ache and a loss of flexibility, I am doing well. I have also been treated in the past for depression, anxiety, and chronic fatigue.
I would encourage you to see a rheumatologist.  Sometimes when we have a stress to our bodies either from an accident, surgery or emotional stress, it can trigger an autoimmune disease or fibromyalgia.  You need to be examined and treated.  With your chronic fatigue it is even more of a clue that something is going on.