Arthritis Community
post op hip replacement pain

post op hip replacement pain

My wife has had recently ( 5 days ago ), a total hip replacement. The surgeon told us that when the joint was replaced ( un cemented ), the bone cracked, a hairline crack, which was wired together. Apart from this the replacement was a sucess. The reason i am writing is that she is in terrible pain,and the area around the replacement from hip to knee is numb. Is this normal?, the numbness and the pain.She was told to take extra care when walking with the crutches. I know it's only a few days since the op, but she is in terrible pain and i want to try to reassure her thats its only temporary

Thanks for listening
Hi there,

I've had both hips replaced and trust me, at 5 days post op she is still going to feel like she's been hit by a mack truck. My first concern is that her pain is not under control. Make sure she is taking her pain medication exactly as directed. DO NOT let her skip doses even if she feels better. One the pain gets away from you it's harder to get back under control. I know it makes her feel sleepy and dopey, but for now it's what she needs.

All surgeons are diffeent in their post-op weight-bearing instructions - I was non-weightbearing for six weeks, which mean I was allowed to let my toe touch the floor but not lean on it. For the next six weeks, I was partial weight bearing, which means I could stand on it but not walk without support (crutches or a cane). My surgeon said this was to give the bone time to grow into the implant.

I also had some areas of numbness after surgery, but this completely resolved over time as the nerves regrew. It may take several months but it should get better.

She should be doing her post-op physical therapy. It's especially important, even when she is at rest, to NOT let her turn her toe inward. Keep it straight or pointed slightly outward. This is to keep the muscles from healing in that toe-in position.

I hope this helps! I've been very happy with my hip replacements. The surgery and the post-op period isn't very much fun, but in the long run it'll be worth it. Again, make sure she takes that pain medication and if that's not controlling her pain, call the doctor. And make sure she does that physical therapy - it's vitally important for long-term success.

Hang in there!