Ask a Nurse Expert Forum
Abdominal pain after drinking alcohol, lasting deveral days, advice ple...
About This Forum:

WELCOME TO THE ASK A NURSE FORUM: This forum is for questions and discussions pertaining to Bones, Blood, Brain, Colorectal, Diagnostic Tests, Digestive, Ears, Eyes, Glands, Heart, Infectious Diseases, Kidneys, Liver, Lungs, Men’s Health, Muscles, Nose, Skin, Stomach, Surgery, Vaccines, Women’s Health

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Abdominal pain after drinking alcohol, lasting deveral days, advice please? :(

I'm a girl, 16 and have just had two months of intense exams, and finished on Thursday: my friend had a barbecue that evening, which I went to and at which I stupidly drank a lot.                                     I don't drink regularly and in my year group it's not a new thing to drink at parties, but aside from a few people vomiting, people generally seem fine during/after.
Also, I undereat when stressed, mainly due to nerves and loss of appetite, which had been going on for two months. On thursday, I'd got up too late for breakfast and I felt ill with nerves so only had salad and a slice of bread at lunch.  
Thursday evening, I didn't vomit or pass out. I remember the evening and didn't feel ill at the time. In the past at parties when I've drunk less I seem to be fine, I've never thrown up due to drinking.
When I woke up on Friday I felt very naseous, had shivers and abdominal pain, mostly on my upper left side, but also in other areas on my stomach - I have a feeling it's my liver. My friends and I worked out I'd had about 12 units of alcohol (alcopops mainly) which worried me. I then drank lots of water, had a proper meal, and at the time I thought it'd be a good idea to have lots of fruit: as soon as I realised the acid content could probably cause further pain if it was my liver, I stopped.
The pain has carried on despite coming on very quickly. It has got a bit better, and my other symptoms have gone. Should I do anything else? Today’s Saturday and the GP won't be open until Monday, when I am definitely going to go to my GP, probably even if think I feel fine.
I would just like to know if this is normal and will go away soon, or if it's gastritis which I'll need some medication for, or if it could be very serious?
I lost control of my limits on Thursday, but I learn from mistakes and bad experiences, and don't want to experience this again or damage my liver/kidneys/etc.
Thanks for reading, any advice will be greatly appreciated.