Ask a Nurse Expert Forum
Allergic reaction to Neosporin?

WELCOME TO THE ASK A NURSE FORUM: This forum is for questions and discussions pertaining to Bones, Blood, Brain, Colorectal, Diagnostic Tests, Digestive, Ears, Eyes, Glands, Heart, Infectious Diseases, Kidneys, Liver, Lungs, Men’s Health, Muscles, Nose, Skin, Stomach, Surgery, Vaccines, Women’s Health

Allergic reaction to Neosporin?

My boyfriend and I were having sex one night and when we were done we noticed that he had a cut on his penis. I put neosporin on it and the next day it was swollen and really itchy. After a week or so he went to a Dr. that looked at him and immediately said that it was Herpes. He took blood and the tests came back positive for Herpes Simplex type 1. Well he started using the medication. But it is not helping at all. His penis is still really irritated an is always itchy. Is it ok to use some Hydrocortisone on his penis to help with the itch and where should we go from here?