Ask a Nurse Expert Forum
Brown Period?

WELCOME TO THE ASK A NURSE FORUM: This forum is for questions and discussions pertaining to Bones, Blood, Brain, Colorectal, Diagnostic Tests, Digestive, Ears, Eyes, Glands, Heart, Infectious Diseases, Kidneys, Liver, Lungs, Men’s Health, Muscles, Nose, Skin, Stomach, Surgery, Vaccines, Women’s Health

Brown Period?
This morning I woke up with brown blood in my knickers. It has been extremely light all day and it went red for a bit but it's brown again. I have really bad period pains/cramps and it hurts to stand up/sit down. I'm thirteen. What does this mean?
Hi and thanks for using the forum.

Have you started getting your period yet?  It sounds like you are starting on it and at age 13 it is not uncommon for it to be irregular.  If you can take ibuprofen, then you can try that to help relieve some of the cramps.  I would wait and see what happens.  This could just be the normal start of your menstrual cycle.  If the pain persists more than a few days, then talk with your parent or guardian.  Good luck.

Bridget