Ask a Nurse Expert Forum
"Cottage Cheese" Looking Right Tonsil

WELCOME TO THE ASK A NURSE FORUM: This forum is for questions and discussions pertaining to Bones, Blood, Brain, Colorectal, Diagnostic Tests, Digestive, Ears, Eyes, Glands, Heart, Infectious Diseases, Kidneys, Liver, Lungs, Men’s Health, Muscles, Nose, Skin, Stomach, Surgery, Vaccines, Women’s Health

"Cottage Cheese" Looking Right Tonsil

My throat has been bothering me for the past 5 days now. I noticed it begun hurting after taking an rather large Tylenol pill for a headache that went down the wrong way, and I ended up somewhat chocking on it, but that was about a week ago. This morning I woke up with a "eggy" smell/taste in my mouth and took a look down my throat just to notice that my right side tonsil looked odd. It looks as if my tonsil is folded in half and I have cottage cheese stuck between the fold. The pain is very mild, just feels as if I'm about to come down with a cold or something. Also, if this helps any, I have been taking iron supplements due to having iron deficiency anemia.
Any idea on what this may be? Thank You!
Hi and thanks for using the forum.

If you are noticing a discharge on your tonsil, then you should see your doctor for a throat culture.  This could be a tonsilitis, strep throat, or even thrush.  But you should get it checked out before it gets worse.  IN the meantime, you could try gargling with warm salt water.  Good luck.

Bridget