Ask a Nurse Expert Forum
Finger Numbness

WELCOME TO THE ASK A NURSE FORUM: This forum is for questions and discussions pertaining to Bones, Blood, Brain, Colorectal, Diagnostic Tests, Digestive, Ears, Eyes, Glands, Heart, Infectious Diseases, Kidneys, Liver, Lungs, Men’s Health, Muscles, Nose, Skin, Stomach, Surgery, Vaccines, Women’s Health

Finger Numbness

Hi, this past saturday night I was up in East Stroudsberg, PA visiting some friends in college. We had to walk to and from a party, and decided that jeans and T-shirts would suffice the -6 degree weather. Our total exposure time was about 45 minutes going there and coming back, and we did drink at the party. Since then, I have had numbness on the tips of my fingers, with the exception of the thumb, index finger and middle finger on my right hand; the left thumb, index finger and middle finger have more feeling than the others, but the numbness is present.. They are fully functional, but have limited sensation. My concern is what happened, and whether or not the damage is permanent?
Hi and thanks for using the forum.

Since this numbness has persisted for more than a few days, you may want to get it checked out.  It may or may not be related to the exposure to the cold, but it has not gone away, so therefore would be worth looking into.  You were definitely exposed to extremely cold weather without proper protection.  You should try seeing your regular doctor first and then see what he/she says.  Good luck

Bridget