Ask a Nurse Expert Forum
Red rash on face and lacy skin

WELCOME TO THE ASK A NURSE FORUM: This forum is for questions and discussions pertaining to Bones, Blood, Brain, Colorectal, Diagnostic Tests, Digestive, Ears, Eyes, Glands, Heart, Infectious Diseases, Kidneys, Liver, Lungs, Men’s Health, Muscles, Nose, Skin, Stomach, Surgery, Vaccines, Women’s Health

Red rash on face and lacy skin

Ok, so my 4 year old daughter has had bright red cheeks since she was about 1. They never fade they only get redder and she has what her doctor called extreme lacing of the skin. The E.R. told me it was fifth disease when I took her in for a 103 fever. Her pcp has told me that it is no way fifth disease, since it has a different pattern and has lingered for 3 years. Every time her cheeks get redder she loses all interest in food, she vomits usually once per flare up, and she runs a fever. Her laciness in her skin gets redder as well. The doctor said she is stumped and has no idea what it is. But is VERY interested in researching what it could be.

Any ideas?
Hi and thanks for using the forum.

What you have described is classic symptoms for Fifth disease except for the fact that it has gone on for 3 years. Generally, once you have fifth disease you become immune to it.  I don't really have an answer for you as to what this would be.  My only other suggestion would be to maybe seek a dermatologist opinion about this.  Good Luck.

Bridget