Ask a Nurse Expert Forum
pains

WELCOME TO THE ASK A NURSE FORUM: This forum is for questions and discussions pertaining to Bones, Blood, Brain, Colorectal, Diagnostic Tests, Digestive, Ears, Eyes, Glands, Heart, Infectious Diseases, Kidneys, Liver, Lungs, Men’s Health, Muscles, Nose, Skin, Stomach, Surgery, Vaccines, Women’s Health

pains

i'm 12 yrs old and i know it's not the heart but i've recently received a pain in the upper right chest just above my breast and i'm not quite sure what it is it has been getting more and more painful it hurts less when i relax though. what is going on?
Hi and thanks for using the forum.

Usually, as you have said, chest pain in children is not cardiac related.  There are a lot of things that can cause the symptom you have described including anxiety, bronchitis, GERD, costochondritis (inflammation of a rib or cartilage connecting a rib), among other things.  I suggest that you talk to your parent or guardian about this.  If it persists, you might want to see your doctor to see what is going on.  Good luck.

Bridget