Asthma diagnosis removed due to bad inhaler reaction??

I am quite ignorant when it comes to all things asthma related so I hope someone can help me. I have had several health issues for 7 years and after TONS of docs-  I am now at Mayo clinic being tested for MS and a rheumatic autoimmune condition (such as lupus, sarcoidosis, Sjogrens, etc So far all panels are normal, except Sed Rate and CRP and globulins). My long time dx of fibro is being tossed out!

Well, a few years ago an allergist ran an in office breathing test on an old machine and she conveyed to tme that  the report was normal, just possible shortness in breathe due to allergies. So any time after that if I felt grasping for air I assumed it was allergies OR tight muscles from fibro.

Fast forward, Summer of 2012- my new allergist gets my old report and notes that it says I failed the breathing test, so she orders a recent in office breathing test. Well, the results come back that I am at 83% lung capacity, so she says that while this isn't too bad it does warrant a trial of an inhaler.

So, onto "Asthmanex" I go... until, I start having a bad reaction each dose- itchy throat, almost fainting, headache, drowsiness. As soon as I tell my allergist this she notifies me that since I can't handle a basic inhaler it must not be asthma but actually an external mechanical issue- like inflamed pleural space or muscle tissue from an underlying AI condition.

I am SERIOUSLY confused. I can navigate my way around all things neurological and most things pharmecutical, but in regards to lung issues I am lost. Does this sound a bit strange or is this common? To have an asthma dx taken away due to a bad reaction to an inhaler?

I don't get easily winded with exertion, but I do get post exertion fatigue which could be separate issue. I do have periods of grasping for air, but it lasts for a whole day then relaxes. Drinking water seems to help this situation. It's not like an anxiety shortness of breath- more like a squeezing my ribs. IF I do have MS, that could explain nerve-rib muscle spasms...

Thanks for help!
You need to ask for a full pulmonary function test done by a third party lab.  This tests for more lung function areas than the basic in office tests.

Methacholine challenge tests how twitchy your lungs are and may be an option as well to show whether the chances of asthma is possible.

One CAN have asthma and still have allergic reaction to the inhalers, especially someone already with an unusual immune system and allergies!  I think you might want to find another doctor to get a second opinion.