Asthma Expert Forum
Chronic Phlegm
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding: Asthma, Chronic Cough, Sinusitis, and other Respiratory Disorders.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Chronic Phlegm

I have had chronic phlegm overproduction for the last five years or so. It is always clear and feels like it is in both my sinuses and airway. I constantly cough up phlegm and occasionally cough so hard that I gag. When I play athletics I will sometimes "vomit mucus". My stomach feels like it is "turning over" but phlegm comes out.
I have been to see an allergist (who ran a battery of food allergies and found nothing). I have also seen a pulmonologist (who put me on mucinex and subsequently nasonex. Neither did much). I should also mention that I have lived in New England, North Carolina, Montana, Seattle, and New Zealand (environmentally diverse places) for at least four months at a time during the past five years, and nothing has improved. The only time it was exacerbated was when I lived in New Orleans after Katrina and may have ingested some mold. Anyhow, it seems to be becoming progressively more sensitive to exercise. Currently, when I run for a few minutes I begin to cough up copious amounts of mucus and start gagging. Any suggestions about what this may be, how I could treat it, or who might be able assist me further would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks