Asthma Expert Forum
Chronic Phlegm

This forum is for questions and support regarding: Asthma, Chronic Cough, Sinusitis, and other Respiratory Disorders.

Chronic Phlegm

I have had chronic phlegm overproduction for the last five years or so. It is always clear and feels like it is in both my sinuses and airway. I constantly cough up phlegm and occasionally cough so hard that I gag. When I play athletics I will sometimes "vomit mucus". My stomach feels like it is "turning over" but phlegm comes out.
I have been to see an allergist (who ran a battery of food allergies and found nothing). I have also seen a pulmonologist (who put me on mucinex and subsequently nasonex. Neither did much). I should also mention that I have lived in New England, North Carolina, Montana, Seattle, and New Zealand (environmentally diverse places) for at least four months at a time during the past five years, and nothing has improved. The only time it was exacerbated was when I lived in New Orleans after Katrina and may have ingested some mold. Anyhow, it seems to be becoming progressively more sensitive to exercise. Currently, when I run for a few minutes I begin to cough up copious amounts of mucus and start gagging. Any suggestions about what this may be, how I could treat it, or who might be able assist me further would be greatly appreciated.
What you describe could be asthma, a disease characterized by airway tightness, wheezing, cough and excessive mucus production.  The first 2 are usually the most common presenting symptoms, but occasionally excessive mucus is the main problem.  Reflux of stomach contents into the esophagus, is another possible cause.  And, now, you may be developing exercise induced asthma.

Needless to say, if you are a cigarette smoker or are exposed to noxious smoke, fumes, dust or other like products on the job, that could be the cause.

If this proves to not be the diagnosis, the next step could well be, obtaining CT scans of the lungs and sinuses.

Good luck.