Asthma Expert Forum
Excess coughing and mucus

This forum is for questions and support regarding: Asthma, Chronic Cough, Sinusitis, and other Respiratory Disorders.

Excess coughing and mucus
I have a problem with excessive coughing, night and day.  The coughing will continue in spurts until I've successfully coughed up mucus.  Can this be symptomatic of asthma?
Yes, your cough could be due to asthma, especially if you have a history of asthma in the past.  But, there are many causes of cough, including chronic bronchitis usually due to cigarette smoking, postnasal drip, gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) commonly referred to as acid reflux, and an enormous variety of lung diseases, including many different types of pneumonia.  You should have your lungs examined and get a chest x-ray.  Until the cause of your cough is determined, it will not be possible to decide-upon the appropriate therapy.

Good luck.