Asthma Community
Is it asthma

This patient support community is for discussions relating to asthma, asthma control, breathing difficulty, bronchodilators, children's asthma, drug allergies, exercise-induced asthma, house dust and indoor allergens, pets, school issues, and sports activity.

Is it asthma

As a baby I grunted in my sleep and was hospitalized often for my breathing difficulties.  I was tested for cystic fibrosis which was negative Thank God.  I was on theophylline until about my teen age years when I developed chronic gastritis and went off the theophylline.  My chest heavyness and short of breath is bad at this time of year.  But I never have bad peak flows and dont wheeze.  I have tested positive to a low dose of methocholine.  I use combivent prn.  The other day my uvula was swollen and throat was red and irritated with white pimples I felt like I couldn't swallow, talk, and felt like I was drooling I went to the doctor he gave me prednisone and changed my allergy medicine I have a dry cough and sometimes it is moist I have increased shortness of breath and chest heavyness  are these symtoms (symptoms) only indicative of asthma? why is that I never wheeze and my peak flows are always normal?
The methacoline challenge test is pretty accurate for diagnosing asthma.  I have pretty bad asthma and I have never wheezed.  You don't necessarly have to wheeze to have asthma.  Sometimes I cough, but usually not.  I usually get real hot and dizzy.  Then I get really thursty and it just starts feeling like I can't get enough air.  There are many different symptoms of asthma and some people have them all and others only have one or two.  If you are unsure I would take my test results and get another pulmanologist to look at them and give you a second opinion.  I hope you find out for sure and if it is asthma get on some medicine to keep from having attacks.