Asthma Expert Forum
Sensitivity to cold

This forum is for questions and support regarding: Asthma, Chronic Cough, Sinusitis, and other Respiratory Disorders.

Sensitivity to cold

Over the past few years I have gotten quite a few bouts with bronchitis. I have developed asthma which is under control. My question is why am I so sensitive to cold weather and even air conditioning in summer? It is making my life miserable because I feel pain in my lungs. I wear a cold weather mask with a scarf over my mouth in winter and do not go out much. I am on Advair.
Tags: irritable
Cold is a nonspecific irritant and trigger for asthma.  It is cold weather, but more specifically cold dry air such as that which comes from an air conditioner that triggers asthma.  It may be possible to protect against this with a higher dose of Advair.  It is worth discussing with your physician if this is a significant problem for you.  The increased dose will reduce the airway irritability and thus the responsiveness to the cold air.
1 Comment
A related discussion, cold breathing problems was started.