Asthma Expert Forum
Sneezing after running

This forum is for questions and support regarding: Asthma, Chronic Cough, Sinusitis, and other Respiratory Disorders.

Sneezing after running

Whenever I go for a run, when I get home I start sneezing and then sneeze all day until I feel quite poorly.  This used to happen only in the winter when the air was cold, but now happens in summer too.  I take lofepramine anti depressant and wonder if this exacibates the problem as its since taking this that I'm affected in summer as well as winter. Lofepramine can cause a dry mouth so must have some effect on mucus?  Recently it was suggested to me that I am suffering from exercise induced Rhinistis.  My question is, is this likely, and how can I treat it?  My occupation is sport so it is important for me to be able to run.
  • sneezing (1 replies):
    I have asthma and allergies and the summer is always a j...[more]
  • sneezing (1 replies):
    i have chronic sneezing and nasal discharge problem
  • I sneeze when I stand up. (7 replies):
    I have developed allergies over the last year. They see...[more]
  • Severe Sneezing (2 replies):
    I have always had allergies and sometimes I get a severe...[more]
  • Sneezing! (1 replies):
    The Only thing that bothers me if my Sneezing is NORMAL!...[more]
Yours is a common experience and is related to both allergic and non-allergic rhinitis, which is nasal inflammation.  Sneezing, with exercise, is a less common symptom than nasal congestion but a very common symptom in persons with allergic rhinitis at rest.  And, allergic rhinitis is frequently associated with asthma so you might want to be sure that you don't have that as well.

Most likely you will be helped by pre-exercise treatment with a nasal inhalant, either an inhaled nasal steroid, such as Flonase
1 Comment
A related discussion, post race shortness of breath was started.