Atrial Septal Defect (ASD) Community
primum atrial septal defect

WELCOME to the ATRIAL SEPTAL DEFECT COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Atrial Septal Defect (ASD) which is a hole in the part of the septum that separates the atria (the upper chambers of the heart). This hole allows oxygen-rich blood from the left atrium to flow into the right atrium instead of flowing into the left ventricle as it should. This means that oxygen-rich blood gets pumped back to the lungs, where it has just been, instead of going to the body.

primum atrial septal defect

I am headed to UAB next week for a surgical cath, but everything I read online says that primum requires surgery. I am not sure if the doctor is taking the easy way out or I am just confused. Any suggestions?
Sorry, I am sure you need more info, I am 39, active duty Air Force, I have a 1.75cm ASD primum. I saw the cardio doc and he said "its very small, you might not need surgery". Which is not what my primary cardio doctor said. I have been having chest pain with excretion, shortness of breath, head aches. Everything i have seen online and what the base cardio says, these symptoms are a cause if a untreated ASD. The cardio doctor at UAB says there is no issues, the symptoms are not from the ASD.

I am not sure I fully trust this doctor, he seems to contradict everyone else. Any suggestions?
It seems your symptoms coinside exactly with asd problems. If it is small enough you can have it fixed through a cath which is not concidered a surgery though. My 5 year old was diagnosed with her asd when she started having migraines. Sadly she was not a cathable case. She was missing the entire atrial septum. Good luck dear. :)