Atrial Septal Defect (ASD) Community
small primum ASD

WELCOME to the ATRIAL SEPTAL DEFECT COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Atrial Septal Defect (ASD) which is a hole in the part of the septum that separates the atria (the upper chambers of the heart). This hole allows oxygen-rich blood from the left atrium to flow into the right atrium instead of flowing into the left ventricle as it should. This means that oxygen-rich blood gets pumped back to the lungs, where it has just been, instead of going to the body.

small primum ASD

Hi all. My baby, at 2 months has a small primum ASD measuring 2.6 mm. Do small ASDs close on its own, or require surgery? Especially primum ASD, I've read it doesn't close on its own. Please advise.
Tags: primum, ASD, small
Hi there!

Well, without knowing the relevant clinical details or a detailed clinical evaluation it would be difficult to comment specifically on the situation. Small primum defects may be expected to close within the first 2-5 years of life. Surgical intervention is usually indicated beyond this age group, though an early intervention may be indicated in the presence of associated lesions or complications. I would suggest discussing the situation, the suggested management plan and the expected prognosis in detail with the treating cardiologist.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!