Trying to Find a Psychiatrist Who Accepts MediCare
About two months ago, I was put on depakote and wellbutrin for bipolar disorder after having admitted myself to a local hospital.  I was given a prescription for a 30 day supply of meds.  I was also told that the doctor who prescribed me the meds could only do so through the hospital, and if I were hospitalized.  I was then told that there are no psychiatrists in this County who accept "Medicare with Medi-Cal."  (Not sure what that means.)

I have Medi-Cal, but it is not in this County, and for complex reasons, I have been having a lot of trouble transferring it over here.  However, that is not the real issue.  I did receive another 60 days' worth of meds from a psychiatrist at County Mental Health, but he told me that because I have MediCare, I would need to find a psychiatrist who accepts MediCare, rather than to try and use my MediCal benefits there, either before or after the transfer goes through.

So, I will run out of the meds in about 30 days if I can't figure something out.  I am willing to travel in order to obtain the meds, as they are very effective.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Namaste,

Medi-Cal is the equivilant to Medicaid in other states and is seperate and distinct from Medicare.

Here are some of the psychiatrists in your area that allegedly accept Medicare.

To find out more information, go to:

http://www.medicare.gov/default.asp

Russell, Guy;  MD
Psychiatry  1414 N California St
Stockton, CA  95202
Phone (209) 468-2385

Zia, Muhammad;  MD
Psychiatry  2626 N California St
Ste E
Stockton, CA  95204
Phone (209) 467-4444

ROBINSON, DAVID;  DO
Psychiatry  2522 GRAND CANAL
STE 1
STOCKTON , CA  95207
Phone (209) 951-6259

Martin, Robert;  MD
Psychiatry  2522 Grand Canal Blvd
Ste 1
Stockton, CA  95207
Phone (209) 951-4666

McCarthy-Lenz, Justine;  MD
Psychiatry  5756 Pacific Ave
Ste 75
Stockton, CA  95207
Phone (209) 472-1765

Hart, Robert;  MD
Psychiatry  2155 W March Ln
Ste 2B
Stockton, CA  95207
Phone (209) 473-4211

Larsen, Kimberly;  MD
Psychiatry  7373 West Ln
Stockton, CA  95210
Phone (209) 476-2000

Bhaskar, Shree;  MD
Psychiatry  7373 West Ln
Stockton, CA  95210
Phone (209) 476-2000

I hope this information helps you.

Michael

I just read your list of referrals you gave to starblazer.  I too am looking for a Medicare Psychiatrist.  I'm in New York City.  Would you know of any.  I cannot seem to find one that is suave about Bi-polar / Borderline Personality AND accepts my insurance.  Help.  Thanks
I lived in that area for 18yrs. Be careful of Zia as he has group med meetings then talks about the patients with the other patients. Dr Matrin is ok, except he is about as emotional as a stone. I went to him for several years but got tired of no feedback.
i had  the same problem and i got the red white and blue card  took me 3 yrs to find one..unmedicated
I have heard that in the more expensive-living areas it's hard to find a psychiatrist that takes Medicare insurance.  Where it's expensive the Dr.s charge more, but what they get from Medicare stays the same, so it's not in their benefit to accept Medicare.  I've been having a problem finding a Dr. where we just moved that accepts Medicare, and I may have to continuing seeing my Dr. 3 hours away where I used to live.
You could get a full list from your local NAMI chapter. My psychopharmocologist takes Medicare in part. I have to pay the full check and am reimbursed by Medicare in check form by mail for part of it. Its harder to find a psychiatrist who takes Medicare in full because of their rates. I have been told this directly.
I just read your list of referrals you gave to starblazer.  I too am looking for a Medicare Psychiatrist. I live way up in northren Calif. Shasta county. I tried to go to our local County Mental health, but was told because I have medicare they can't help me.I called a few other in Redding and they don't take medicare. I'll go anywhere for help. I don't think that my meds are working anymore. I need help yesterday. Thanks SKS
I am having the same issue, I have medicare and medical, no one will touch you with medical unless you have strictly medical and not medicare.  With medicare I am unable to find anyone, thank you for the list....I live in Modesto, I did hear about a new office that is located in Tracy
I realize that these comments have been posted awhile but I've come across the same situation where I'm needing the names of Psychiatrists that accept Medicare/Medi-Cal in North San Diego County.  Your answer would be greatly appreciated.
Sorry to add to the list of requests but I could also use help in locating a psychiatrist in NYC (Manhattan).  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bruce
Firstly it would depend on what form of coverage you have but regardless a good start would be to call your local NAMI chapter:
http://www.naminycmetro.org/
And as well call psychiatric hospitals in the area because many psychiatrists who work at psych. hospitals also have an outpatient practice. Ask about a psychiatrist that would accept what form of coverage you have:
I need to find a psychiatrist that takes medicare in and around Sacramento.
Please let me know at ***@**** if you can help.  My son needs medication for depression and axiety.
  The NAMI chapter for your area should be able to be of help. See if calling them works. They might have a list of psychiatrists or be able to refer you to a place that does. Also it would be worthwhile to call any hospitals in the area as many psychiatrists that work in hospitals work outpatient or have a private practice as well.