Blood Disorders Community
Baby aspirin before flying?
About This Community:

WELCOME TO THE COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Bleeding Disorders. There are many types of blood disorders, including: bleeding disorders, platelet disorders, hemophilia and anemia.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Baby aspirin before flying?

I will be flying next week from the US to Singapore.  I have a short flight to Minneapolis (about 2 hours), a long 6-hour layover, then a long-haul flight to Tokyo (~12.5 hours), an hour layover, and then a 7-hour flight to Singapore.  I was told by my doctor to take a baby aspirin (~75-81mg) to avoid getting DVT (Deep Vein Thrombosis), along with stretching, getting up and walking every hour or two, and drinking plenty of water.  I also plan to wear compression stockings.  The reason for all of my precautions is that I am on the birth control pill and thus I am at higher risk.

How long before flying should I take the aspirin?  Also, should I take another aspirin throughout the longer flights?  How long will the aspirin work at thinning my blood after I have taken it?  I've read that it last 7 days.  I've also read that you should continue taking it a couple of days after getting off the plane.  Is this true?

Thank you for reading.
351246_tn?1379685732
Hi!

It is best to ask your doctor and take the medication accordingly. You should ideally start a week before the flight and continue for about 2-3 days after the flight. During flight you should take aspirin as advised. There is no need to take extra dosage.Take care!
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Blood Disorders Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
How to Silence Your Inner Critic an...