Blood Disorders Community
Baby aspirin before flying?

WELCOME TO THE COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Bleeding Disorders. There are many types of blood disorders, including: bleeding disorders, platelet disorders, hemophilia and anemia.

Baby aspirin before flying?

I will be flying next week from the US to Singapore.  I have a short flight to Minneapolis (about 2 hours), a long 6-hour layover, then a long-haul flight to Tokyo (~12.5 hours), an hour layover, and then a 7-hour flight to Singapore.  I was told by my doctor to take a baby aspirin (~75-81mg) to avoid getting DVT (Deep Vein Thrombosis), along with stretching, getting up and walking every hour or two, and drinking plenty of water.  I also plan to wear compression stockings.  The reason for all of my precautions is that I am on the birth control pill and thus I am at higher risk.

How long before flying should I take the aspirin?  Also, should I take another aspirin throughout the longer flights?  How long will the aspirin work at thinning my blood after I have taken it?  I've read that it last 7 days.  I've also read that you should continue taking it a couple of days after getting off the plane.  Is this true?

Thank you for reading.
Hi!

It is best to ask your doctor and take the medication accordingly. You should ideally start a week before the flight and continue for about 2-3 days after the flight. During flight you should take aspirin as advised. There is no need to take extra dosage.Take care!