Blood Disorders Community
low blood cell counts
About This Community:

WELCOME TO THE COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Bleeding Disorders. There are many types of blood disorders, including: bleeding disorders, platelet disorders, hemophilia and anemia.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

low blood cell counts

I'm not sure how to interpret my recent CBC results, and whether my primary doctor's response is reasonable. My dad has idiopathic thrombocytopenia (failing most therapies until being treated successfully, so far, with a splenectomy) and, although I understand it's not generally considered to be heritable, I went to the doctor's upon recently noticing a small purpura-looking rash on my back. The doctor agreed it was indeed purpura, but did not think it terribly significant. She did, however, order a routine CBC since I've never had one done before.

The results showed all of my parameters to be near the minimum normal levels. In particular, my platelet levels were at the very minimum of the "normal range" at 152 (X10E9/L), given the stated range of 150-450. Surprisingly, my white blood cell (WBC) count was also listed as "abnormally" low at 3.1 (normal being stated as 4.4-11.3). In particular, my lymphocyte levels were also low. The doctor did not consider either of these results to be worth panicing over, and instead advised me to return in 3 months to repeat the test and make sure the levels do not continue to drop.

Firstly, is it worrisome that all of my counts were near the minimum normal levels?

Secondly, is 3 months appropriate? I'd hate to worry unnecessarily if it can be repeated sooner.

Finally, given my family history of a blood disorder, should I be especially concerned about either the WBC or PLT counts?

The entirety of the CBC results are pasted below:

Test Name                 Result          Abnormal Reference Range
------------------------- --------------- -------- ---------------
WBC                       3.1             L        4.4-11.3 X10E9/L
RBC                       4.79                     4.50-5.90 X10E12/L
HGB                       14.1                     13.5-17.5 g/dL  
HCT                       41.9                     41.0-52.0 %    
MCV                       87                       80-100 fL      
MCHC                      33.7                     32.0-36.0 g/dL  
PLT                       152                      150-450 X10E9/L
RDW-CV                    12.6                     11.5-14.5 %    
NEUTROPHIL                55.6                      %