Brain/Pituitary Tumors Community
Dexamethasone Suppression test

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Brain Tumors and Pituitary Tumors.

Dexamethasone Suppression test

I have all the symptoms for Cushing’s except the pink lines in the belly. Thyroid was underactive on one test but fine the next two. I had the Dexamethasone Suppression test done.  Took 1.5 dose at 10:00 pm. Next morning I felt clammy, sore, weird, but I have felt like that before without the pill. Test results are 0.43* ug/dl and the Lab’s variable is 6.20-19.40. I was told the results are fine but how can they be fine if they are so low and have an asterisk?
Tags: very low results
Having had Cushing's myself and knowing many with the disease, I can tell you that no one has all the symptoms.

I can also tell you that you did the test incorrectly... the dex should have been taken at 11pm. The draw should have been at 8am, fasting. The result was a *fail* (the range is for a normal draw, the lab does not put the ranges for dex suppression on it). To *pass* it has to be above 1.2 (maybe, I forget!) or something near there. You just suppressed really low.

However, it is a test that I personally find misleading. It should be a test of location not a test of exclusion and it should be used in conjunction with a bunch of other testing. Since most people have pituitary source anyway and most people fail... well! I failed this test - and I had pituitary source, but a lot of docs tried to dismiss me on these.